- May 25, 2015
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Announcements, Job
Job Title: Legal Assistant Officer
Based: AERG South and Eastern Office, Huye and RwamaganaDistrict
Reporting to: AERG Chief Legal Officer
AERG (Association des EtudiantsetElevesRescapés Du Genocide) is an association of student survivors of genocide created in 1996 at the National University of Rwanda. Now AERG is represented nationally at 38 Universities and institutes of higher learning and above 400 secondary schools in Rwanda, with a total country-wide membership of above 43,000. The main mission of AERG is to connect and represent all student survivors involved in higher learning or attending secondary school. AERG is now dedicated to providing financial support, morale boosting activities and support systems, fighting genocide ideology and ensuring that students overcome trauma, homelessness and financial problems as well as to advocate for the ongoing needs of survivors, supporting them in education, with economic issues and onwards towards a productive life
Project: Empowering Secondary School Leavers to Secure and Sustain Employment in Rwanda (ELE)
ELE is a 2 ½ year project initiated in partnership with Survivors Fund, funded by the UK’s Department for International Development. ELE will reduce the extreme poverty and hunger experienced by young survivors and their dependents, by ensuring they have the skills, resources and confidence to generate income. This will be achieved by AERG by facilitating training to develop viable livelihoods, empower the target group to access legal and health services, and access capital for the establishment of new businesses.
Entrepreneurship training will be the foundation upon which all other project activities will be built. This training will involve work readiness skills, basic business and banking skills, and accessing quality employment in the Rwandan context.
The Legal Assistant Officer is responsible for facilitating group sessions with the project members, focusing on their legal issues. The purpose is to provide the legal basic education and find ways to solve outstanding legal cases and enforce their legal rights.
- To provide training in legal basic rights
- To mentor and advise members to show the orientation of his or her cases
- To help them know how they can claim their rights and thelegal procedure to be followed
- To train members about the civil law including land law, family law, succession law, expropriation law, RSSB claim procedures, enforcement of court judgment procedures, gender based violence law (GBV), etc.
- To Teach the enforcement of Gacaca Judgment
- To teach the right and obligations of children to the family
- To Receive their legal cases and give legal advice
- To provide Legal advice and orientation of their cases
- To identify the problems if there is administrative or judiciary and refer it to the institution concern
- To ensure ELE is achieving its objectives.
- To make advocacy to the nearest of local entity
- To refer the crucial cases to Chief Legal officer through helpline call on 5476
- To prepare reports and submit to ELE Regional Coordinator
- To do other tasks assigned by AERG
Qualifications and Person Specification
- A Bachelors degree in law with Experience at least one year
- Demonstrate an interest in teaching or guiding others to build their capacity
- Confident and positive, approachable and sensitive to the needs of survivors
- Highly organized and able to analyze the legal matters
- Proactive and ability to self-direct own work
- A willingness to be flexible according to the demands of the Organization
Skills and Experience
- Experience and confidence working with legal aid
- Experience working with different categories of people especial youth
- Experience working with vulnerable groups preferred
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage own time
- Microsoft Office and general office skills
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation to demonstrate project impact
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda
How to Apply
-Application letter addressed to AERG Coordinator
-Remember to attach your CV.
– Due to anticipated interest in these posts, only those who will follow application procedure and those that will be shortlisted will be contacted.
– Deadline to receive application is 5th, June 2015 at 5pm.
AERG National Coordinator
Jean de DieuMIRINDI